Our second offering of this online, interdisciplinary STEM program built for girls ages 13-16 was offered from July 12–22, 2021. Throughout the program, girls ages 13 to 16 were introduced to inspiring role models. A customized online platform, accessed through a 1:1 device, served as a launching pad for girls to participate in individual, small group, and community-wide activities. The first week, Art x Science, featured activities at the intersection of art and science. It was followed by Dream Big, which introduced girls to audacious careers in STEM.
Mini-grants supporting participation were granted to 11 girl-serving STEM organizations across the U.S. Some of those organizations shared stories about the growth they saw in the girls over the course of the program, along with their favorite moments:
- Brite First-Time Experiences — Boys & Girls Club of Fitchburg Leominster, Summer Gems
- Brite Sparks Curiosity and Career Interests — Williamson County 4-H, Williamson County 4-H STEM
- Brite-ening Career Horizons — University of South Florida, Oceanography Camp for Girls
- The Future of Girls in STEM Has Never Looked BRITE-er — Milwaukee School of Engineering, MSOE STEM
- Just EPIC: Empowering Our Peers to Innovate and Collaborate — SUNY Schenectady County Community College, CSTEP Program
- Taking a Chance on Brite — Penn State University, EnvironMentors